Planning and Building
Prior to Starting Your Project
Contact the Department of Development and Works at 613.432.8166 or email firstname.lastname@example.org when you are in the planning stages of your project to determine the specific building and zoning requirements for your property; do not wait until the last minute.
What Residential Projects Need a Building Permit?
You need a building permit if you intend to:
- Erect, install, extend, alter or repair a building.
- Demolish all or part of a building.
- Perform construction or alterations that result in a material change to a building or an accessory structure.
How much are Building Permit Fees?
Building permit fees are determined by Town of Renfrew By-law 29-2016.
- Comply with zoning by-laws.
- Meet the requirements in Renfrew’s zoning by-laws for size, setback and location.
- Your building permit will not be approved if the work does not comply with zoning by-laws.
Who's responsible for scheduling a building inspection?
The building permit holder, who can be the owner or contractor, is responsible for:
- Calling to arrange inspections at the required inspection stages.
- Ensuring construction meets the Ontario Building Code.
- Make sure you set up your inspections on time to avoid delays.
Please note: Contractors can also schedule building inspections on the permit holder’s behalf.
77-2016 Development Charges By-Law..
A By-Law to establish Development Charges for the Corporation of the Town of Renfrew